In a neighborhood event as American as apple pie, the HHA is once again seeking the best sweet and savory pies at the The Heights Great American Pie Contest, returning to the Fire Station on July 9th. This beloved returning monthly community gathering is open to all, whether you’re a Heights neighbor or simply a pie aficionado.
Check out pictures from last year’s contest:
From home chefs to pro pastry makers to family teams, we invite all to enter (for free) and go before a panel of local culinary luminaries. Or, simply join us to appreciate your neighbors’ best recipes, since all attendees get to enjoy the competing pies after judging.
Here’s our menu of activities for the evening:
5:00 – 6:00 PM – Bakers Check In (Enter in the Sweet or Savory Category)
6:30 PM – Our judging panel of local Culinary Stars gets a first look at entries as the doors open to all for refreshments.
7 PM – Official judging by our local culinary stars:
- Alli Jarrett, Owner of Harold’s Restaurant & Tap Room and New Orleans native
- Kenny Terrell, HHA Director and Chair of the Boulevard Art Project
- Bobby Jucker, 5th Generation Chef and Owner of Three Brothers Bakery
- Johnny Orr, Heights Favorite Son and Owner of Premium Draught
- Levi Rollins, Chef, Owner, and Culinary Director of Urban Eats Restaurant
- Adam Dorris, Chef and Owner of Presidio Restaurant
- Clevery Stone, Journalist, TV Personality, and Founder of Houston Restaurant Weeks benefiting the Houston Food Bank
- Greg Buchold, Pie Blogger (The Pie Biting Frog)
- Plus, a Wild Card “Secret Ingredient” Judge to be selected from the audience!
7:20 PM – The audience can dig in to the pies!
7:45 PM – Judges announce the winners!
8:30 PM – Lights out!
Here’s how pies in both categories (sweet or savory) will be judged:
To preserve the taste buds of our esteemed judges, entries will be judged in two teams (one team will judge the even numbered pies, the other team odd numbered pies).
Thank you to our generous in-kind donors who are helping bring this fun event to life: Dewayne Ross with Wedding Bliss Events, Angela DeWree with Design & Inspiration and Partyprops2go, and Lisa Anheiser with Lisa’s Linens!