- This event has passed.
July 8 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
It’s just about time for what has quickly become a celebrated summer tradition in our neighborhood, The Heights Great American Pie Contest! Come on down to the Fire Station on Monday, July 8 with your best pie or simply with an appetite for tasty pies (both sweet & savory)!
All are invited to enter a pie or take part in all the fun that follows, so let all your pie aficionado friends (Heights residents or not) know about this family-friendly event.
We’ll have 12 local culinary stars who will be judging the pies and once they’ve selected the winners, everyone else will be able to sample all the mouthwatering goodness.
Here’s the breakdown for this special evening:
5:00-6:00 PM—Bakers check in with their pies (free to enter!) & receive a commemorative pie contest t-shirt.
6:30-7:00 PM—Doors open to all for refreshments, music, and mingling while judges and attendees get their first look at the pies.
7:00-7:30 PM—Pie judging officially begins, HHA President Kevin Chenevert welcomes all attendees, and door prizes are handed out.
7:30-8:00 PM—Contest winners are announced, prizes are awarded, and attendees get to taste the pies!
Pie Judging Criteria
Two Categories – Sweet and Savory
Pies will be judged on a Point System, with points being awarded in each of these 5 categories:
And without further ado, here are this year’s 12 local star judges:
- Alli Jarrett, founder & owner of Harold’s in the Heights
- David Leftwich, Co-founder of Sugar & Rice, Co-host of the Full Menu on Houston Public Media’s Houston Matters
- Levi Rollins, Culinary Director/Co-owner of Urban Eats Bistro+Bar+Market
- Emily Ferrara, Head Chef/Owner of Orange Artichoke Kitchen
- Bobby Jucker, Co-owner of Three Brothers Bakery
- Maureen Demar Hall, multi-time winner of the Heights Great American Pie Contest
- Gregory M. Buchold, Heights pie-blogger, and legacy Heights Great American Pie Judge
- Jessica Lusk, owner of Red Dessert Dive
- Briana Banks of Kraftsmen Baking
- Evan Camp of Eureka Heights
- Kevin Blasini, owner EQ Heights
- WILD CARD JUDGE picked from the audience
The Great American Pie Contest is made possible by our generous volunteers and business members, and we’d like to give a special thank you to this year’s pie contest co-chairs, Angela DeWree, Dewayne Ross, and Danielle Stewart.